The governors of New York and New Jersey said on Monday that they were so alarmed by a surge in coronavirus cases in the South and West that they were reconsidering plans to allow indoor dining in the two states in the coming days.
Gov. Philip D. Murphy of New Jersey said on Monday that plans to allow indoor dining to resume on Thursday as had been scheduled would be postponed “indefinitely.”
“We have seen spikes in other states driven in part by the return of patrons to indoor dining establishments, where they are seated and without face coverings for significant periods of time,” he said. “We do not wish to see New Jersey experience a similar spike.”
New York City is set to begin Phase 3 of its reopening on July 6, which would have allowed restaurants to serve patrons indoors.
But at a news conference on Monday, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said that officials were now weighing whether indoor dining could restart safely and that he would make a decision on Wednesday.
Mr. Cuomo said he was worried about people from states with a high number of infections traveling to or through New York City.
“It’s not just indoor dining alone,” the governor said. “Indoor dining in New York City, where you already have issues with high congregations, you already have issues of people clearly violating social distancing, and you now have an added factor of viral spread all across the nation, and a high likelihood that those people will come to New York City. It’s that combination of facts that’s precarious.”
The virus is surging in states that were among the first to reopen, including Arizona, Florida, and Texas. Florida and Texas recently forced bars to close again because of the soaring number of cases.